By our front entrance we have a pond. Below is a photo from 2010, four years ago. There were two palms (nasty spiky ones) at the back on either side. I didn't like them (nasty) but Mike did. There was a waterfall down the back of the rock wall. I put the waterlilies in when we first moved here (and some fish).
We liked our pond, but over time there were some problems. The palms grew and grew and grew. The Japanese irises took over the pond and I couldn't get them out because they had grown down into the pond liner, and ripping them out would destroy the pond. The rock wall was poorly built and looked like it was about to fall down. The waterfall stopped working years ago. There was no room for waterlilies and fish.
This is what it looked like at the beginning of November (view looking out from front door).
(view from driveway - where you arrive. Big palm! (and this is the short one))
So a major re-do was needed. We decided to stay with the same basic design, but aim for more of a subtropical look (just for Mike).
First step was removal of the palms. 'Tractor John' who can do anything you wish with a tractor, did the deed. There were tears (Melina's - "why are you killing a plant - what has it ever done to you!").
But mostly sighs of relief to see them go.
Thanks to Tractor John.
Part Two coming soon.